Enguistics

English, Linguistics and whatever comes in between.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

DEALING WITH DAILY COMMUNICATION

SAYING ‘NO’ NICELY
Sometimes you need to say no when someone makes a suggestion, offers something or asks you to do something for them. Some common ways to say ‘no’ nicely:

Would you like to see a film tonight?
- I’m afraid I can’t go out tonight. I’ve got a test tomorrow.
Why don’t we have some Chinese food?
- Sorry, but I don’t particularly like Chinese food.
How about taking a nice walk?
- I’d really rather not take a walk this afternoon.
Would you like to come to the museum with us?
- Thank you, but it’s not my idea of a fun afternoon out.
Let’s go for a drive
- Sorry, I’m not really fond of driving for the fun of it.
Why don’t you stay the night?
- That’s very kind of you, but I really have to get back to the city.

When someone makes an offer it is polite to first thank that person and then say no,
often offering an excuse for not wanting or being able to do something. Just saying ‘no’ is considered rude.


Construction
Formula - I’m afraid I can’t...
Verb Form - Use the base form of the verb without ‘to’

Formula - I don’t particularly like...
Verb Form - Use the ‘-ing’ form of the verb with the verb ‘like’ in the present simple.

Formula - I’d (really) rather not...
Verb Form - Use the base form the verb without ‘to’ with ‘rather’

Formula - It’s not my idea of...
Verb Form - Use the ‘-ing’ form following a preposition, or a noun

Formula - I’m not (really) fond of...
Verb Form - Use the ‘-ing’ form following a preposition, or a noun

Formula - Thank you (…for asking, …very much, etc.) but I have to...
Verb Form - Use the base form the verb without ‘to’ following the modal form ‘have to do’

CONTRASTING IDEAS
Some of the most common formulas used when contrasting ideas in English:

We’d love to stay for dinner, but we have got to get going.
They decided to stay in the area, in spite of their problems with the local residents.
Despite the difficulties of a long journey, Peter decided to visit India.
Getting a good job is hard work, however,
most people eventually find one with patience.

There were a number of people who came, although the hotels were not equipped to
handle them all.


Construction
Formula - main statement, but contrasting statement
Example - I’d really like to come to the film, but I have to study tonight.

Explanation
- Use a comma or semi colon with ‘but’, a common way to show
contrasting ideas.



Formula
- main statement, in spite of contrasting statement
OR in spite of contrasting statement, main statement

Example - They continued on their journey, in spite of the pouring rain.
OR In spite of the pouring rain, the continued on their journey.


Explanation
- Use ‘in spite of’ plus a noun, noun phrase or gerund


Formula - main statement, despite contrasting statement
OR Despite contrasting statement, main statement

Example - They continued on their journey, despite the pouring rain.
OR Despite the pouring rain, the continued on their journey.

Explanation - Use ‘despite’ plus a noun, noun phrase or gerund


Formula - main statement, however, contrasting statement OR main statement.
Example - She is a very intelligent girl, however, her tendency to not pay
attention in class causes her problems
.
OR She is a very intelligent girl. However, her tendency to not
pay attention in class causes her problems
.

Explanation - Use ‘however’ preceded and followed by a comma. You can also
contrast ideas in two sentences by beginning the contrasting sentence
with ‘However’.



Formula - main statement, although contrasting statement
OR Although contrasting statement, main statement

Example - We wanted to buy a sports car, although we knew that fast
cars can be dangerous.

OR Although we knew that fast cars can be dangerous, we
wanted to buy a sports car.


Explanation
- Use ‘although’ with a subject and a verb.

MAKING COMPLAINTS
A direct complaint or criticism in English can sound rude or aggressive. Some common ways to mention a problem in an indirect manner:

I’m sorry to have to say this but...
I’m sorry to bother you, but...
Maybe you forgot to...
I think you might have forgotten to...
Excuse me if I’m out of line, but...
There may have been a misunderstanding about...
Don’t get me wrong, but I think we should...

Construction

Formula - I’m sorry to have to say this but
Example Finish - I think we need to take another approach.

Formula - I’m sorry to bother you, but
Example Finish - I think you need to refine this layout.

Formula - Maybe you forgot to
Example Finish - include his name and number.

Formula - I think you might have forgotten to
Example Finish - finish the report on time.

Formula - Excuse me if I’m out of line, but
Example Finish - your work has not been adequate lately.

Formula - There may have been a misunderstanding about
Example Finish - what I expected from you.

Formula - Don’t get me wrong, but I think we should
Example Finish - concentrate on the Smith account for the moment.

ASKING FOR INFORMATION
Some common formulas when asking for information in English:
Could you tell me...?
Do you know...?
Do you happen to know...?
I’d like to know...
Could you find out...?
I’m interested in...
I’m looking for…

2 forms for asking for information on the telephone:
I’m calling to find out...
I’m calling about...

Construction
Formula - Could you tell me
Question Word - when
Example Finish - the next train leaves?

Formula - Do you know
Question Word - how much
Example Finish - that vase costs?

Formula - Do you happen to know
Question Word - where
Example Finish - Tom lives?

Formula - I’d like to know
Question Word - what
Example Finish - you think about the new project.

Formula - Could you tell me
Question Word - when
Example Finish - the next train leaves?

Formula - Could you find out
Question Word - when
Example Finish - she is going to arrive?

Formula - I’m interested in
Gerund (-ing) - buying
Example Finish - a boat

Formula - I’m looking for
Noun - information on
Example Finish - holidays in Spain.

Formula used only on the telephone - I’m calling to find out...
Question Word - if
Example Finish - flight AZ098 will leave on time today.

Formula used only on the telephone - I’m calling about...
Noun - the offer
Example Finish - published in today’s newspaper.

GIVING ADVICE
Some common formulas for Giving Advice in English:

I don’t think you should work so hard.
You ought to work less.
You ought not to work so hard.
If I were you, I’d work less.
If I were in your position, I’d work less.
If I were in your shoes, I’d work less.
You had better work less.
You shouldn’t work so hard.
Whatever you do, don’t work so hard.

Construction
Formula - I don’t think you should work so hard.
Verb Form - Use ‘I don’t think you should’ as the base form of the verb in a statement.

Formula - You ought to work less.
Verb Form - Use ‘You ought to’ the base form of the verb in a statement.

Formula - You ought not to work so hard.
Verb Form - Use ‘You ought not to’ the base form of the verb in a statement.

Formula - If I were you, / If I were in your position, I wouldn’t work so hard.
Verb Form - Use ‘If I were’ ‘you’ / ‘in your position’ ‘I wouldn’t’ / ‘I would’ as base form of the verb in a statement.

Formula - You had better work less.
Verb Form - Use ‘You had better’ (you’d better) as the base form of the verb in a statement.

Formula - You shouldn’t OR You should work less.
Verb Form - Use ‘You should’ OR ‘You shouldn’t’ the base form of the verb in a statement.

Formula - Whatever you do, don’t work so hard.
Verb Form - Use ‘Whatever you do’ as the imperative.

GUESSING
Some common ways to guess in English:
I’d say he’s about ready to quite his job.
It might need some oil.
He could be in the garden.
It looks like a miniature motor.
Perhaps he needs some time off work.
Maybe they want to come and visit this summer.
It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess that it’s used for cleaning house.
I’m not really sure, but I think they enjoy hiking in the mountains.

Construction
Formula - I’d say he’s about ready to quite his job.
Form - Use ‘I’d say’ as an independent clause.

Formula - It might need some oil.
Form - Use ‘might’ the base form of the verb.

Formula - He could be in the garden.
Form - Use ‘could’ as the base form of the verb.

Formula - It looks like a miniature motor.
Form - Use the verb ‘look like’ as a noun.

Formula - Perhaps he needs some time off work.
Form - Begin the sentence with ‘perhaps’.

Formula - Maybe they want to come and visit this summer.
Form - Begin the sentence with ‘maybe’.

Formula - It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess that it’s used for
cleaning house.

Form - Use the phrase ‘It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess’ as n independent clause.

Formula - I’m not really sure, but I think they enjoy hiking in
the mountains.

Form - Use the phrase ‘I’m not really sure, but I think’ an independent clause.

VAGUE EXPRESSIONS – BEING IMPRECISE
Some common ways to give imprecise information in English:

There are about 600 people working in this company.

There are approximately 600 people working in this company.
There are a large number of students interested in taking his course.
Management predicts up to 50% growth for the coming year.
It’s kind of a bottle opener which can also be used to peel vegetables.
It’s the type of place you can go to relax for a week or so.
They’re the sort of people that like going bowling on Saturday evenings.
It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess that it’s used for cleaning house.
I’m not really sure, but I think they enjoy hiking in the mountains.

Construction
Formula - There are about 600 people working in this company.
Form - Use ‘about’ for a numbered expression.

Formula - There are approximately 600 people working in this company.
Form - Use ‘approximately’ for a numbered expression.

Formula - There are a large number of students interested in taking
his course.

Form - Use ‘a large number of’ for a noun.

Formula - Management predicts up to 50% growth for the coming year.
Form - Use ‘up to’ for a noun.

Formula - It’s kind of a bottle opener which can also be used to
peel vegetables.

Form - Use ‘kind of’ for a noun.

Formula - It’s the type of place you can go to relax for a week or so.
Form - Use ‘type of’ for a noun and ‘or so’ at the end of a sentence to express the
meaning ‘approximately’.

Formula - They’re the sort of people that like going bowling on
Saturday evenings.

Form - Use ‘sort of’ a noun.

Formula - It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess that it’s used for cleaning house.
Form - Use the phrase ‘It’s difficult to say, but I’d guess’ an independent clause.

Formula - I’m not really sure, but I think they enjoy hiking in
the mountains.

Form - Use the phrase ‘I’m not really sure, but I think’ an independent clause.

STATING A PREFERENCE
Sometimes you need to state a preference when someone makes a suggestion, offers something or asks your opinion about what to do.

Would you like to see a film tonight?
- I’d rather go dancing. How does that sound?

Why don’t we have some Western food?
- Well, I’d prefer eating Chinese. What do you think?
What do you think we should do?
- If it were up to me, I’d go out for dinner.
What are we going to do today? The weather is awful!
- I think we should go to a museum.

Why don’t we go to a museum.
Let’s go to a museum.
How about going to a museum.

Construction
Formula - I’d rather...
Verb Form - Use the base form of the verb without ‘to’ with ‘rather’

Formula - I’d prefer...
Verb Form - Use the ‘-ing’ form following the verb ‘prefer’

Formula - If it were up to me, I’d...
Verb Form - Use the 2nd conditional form followed by the base form of the
verb without ‘to’


Formula - I think we should...
Verb Form - Use the base form the verb without ‘to’ following the modal form ‘should’

Formula - Why don’t we...?
Verb Form - Use the base form of the verb in a question

Formula - Let’s go...
Verb Form - Use the base form of the verb with ‘let’s’

Formula - How about...?
Verb Form - Use the ‘-ing’ form of the verb after a preposition - here ‘about’

DEMANDING EXPLANATIONS
Sometimes, things happen that we would like explained and we must demand explanations. Here are some formulas used when demanding explanations in English:

Can you tell me why...

I don't understand why...
Can you explain why..
Why is it that...
How come...
Does this mean...
Do you really expect me to believe...

Construction
Formula - Can you tell me why it has taken you so long to respond?
Verb Form - Use 'Can you tell me why' as a full clause in the positive statement
form (S V O).
This is an indirect question and requires a question mark (?).

Formula - I don't understand why it has taken you so long to respond.
Verb Form - Use 'I don't understand why' a full clause in the positive statement
form (S V O).
This is a statement and does NOT require a question mark (?)

Formula - Can you explain why it has taken you so long to respond?
Verb Form - Use 'Can you explain why' a full clause in the positive statement
form (S V O).
This is an indirect question and requires a question mark (?).

Formula - Why is it that it has taken you so long to respond?
Verb Form - Use 'Why is it that' a full clause in the positive statement form (S V O).
This is an indirect question and requires a question mark (?).

Formula - How come it has taken you so long to respond?
Verb Form - Use 'How come' a full clause in the positive statement form (S V O).
This is an indirect question and requires a question mark (?).

Formula - Does this mean (that) it has taken you so long to respond?
Verb Form - Use 'Does this mean (that)' a full clause in the positive statement
form (S V O).
This is an indirect question and requires a question mark (?).

Formula - Do you (really) expect me to belive (that) you weren't able to
finish on time?

Verb Form - Use 'Do you (really) expect me to belive (that)' a full clause in the positive
statement form (S V O).
This is an indirect question and requires a question mark (?).

GIVING WARNINGS
Some common formulas when Giving Warnings in English:

Don't push so hard on that toy, or you might / will break it!

Watch out! Be careful!
Work hard otherwise you'll fail your exam.

Construction
Formula - Don't..., or you might / will...
Verb Form - Use the imperative followed by might or will in a statement

Formula - Watch out! Be Careful
Verb Form - Use the imperative

Formula - Work hard, otherwise you'll...
Verb Form - Use the imperative otherwise you will / might plus the base form of the
verb to show consequences



For more info- http://esl.about.com/blgrammar.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home