Enguistics

English, Linguistics and whatever comes in between.

Monday, January 09, 2006

COMMON ERROR 9: MISUSE OF A REFLEXIVE PRONOUN

Reflexive pronouns are easy to recognise because they all end in –self (singular) or –selves (plural).

A reflexive pronoun can be used to give emphasis or to reflect back to the subject. It should never be used because the writer is not sure whether a pronoun is subject or object of a verb.

WRONG My colleague and myself have checked the creative material.
RIGHT My colleague and I have checked the creative material.
RIGHT I, myself, have checked the final campaign. (emphasis)

RIGHT I blamed myself for the errors. (same subject and object)

WRONG Please see that your wife and yourself sign the enclosed forms.
RIGHT Please see that your wife and you sign the enclosed forms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home